Friday, February 13, 2015

The Google Struggle Bus

On the struggle bus a bit today, because of a few roadblocks (not being able to shadow people in the field, library not sending along the books I requested, and having to wait until Tuesday until I meet with the career counselor from my alma mater). I'm antsy and want answers!! 

So when I got home today, googling "I have a bachelors degree but I want to become an engineer" brought me to this Q&A page about pursuing a career field different than the Bachelor's degree earned, which offered some advice I've been unsure of taking...

  1. Don't just chase the "up and coming" career trends of the day, because you'll graduate with everyone else who pursued that career, putting you in a flood of similarly qualified candidates PLUS all the people already in the field who updated their skills in that area. 
  2. You still have to pay for the education, so you're still going to have to work somehow and earn the money. 
  3. "If you don't have a strong, strong desire to pursue a particular career which requires an advanced degree, don't get one."
  4. "Don't forget something like the Peace Corps, Americorps, Teach for America, WWOOF or other volunteer/see the world/make little money type of thing. It could function as a stopgap job, yes. But it could also open some doors to options that you would never have considered. Note, the selfish need not apply lest they mar the spirit of the program itself. Oh and the first three also offer a pretty nice student loan forgiveness package if you complete your term if I recall correctly."
  5. Just use the skills you have and market yourself at an entry-level position, and you might find that you enjoy the work there. But, you have to give yourself enough time (8 months or so) to really know how well you fit. 
My thoughts: 
  1. I'm now looking to enter an ever-developing field, but am pursuing it out of genuine interest. Also, I feel like there are a lot of branches that I can take, or I might discover a new one somewhere along the line that has not been pursued as of yet. 
  2. I realize I will need a job while I'm in school, so I've been considering things I could do now to prepare myself both monetarily and skill-wise. 
    • Options: bartending, massage therapy, and sticking with tutoring/subbing (possibly teaching, but I'd have to be crazy desperate to try teaching & learning at the same time). 
  3. I'm like ~80% sure of my current pursuit, and I feel like actually being involved in a project and learning more in-depth will bring me deeper into the field. That's just how I am though - lots of widespread interests. 
  4. Not for me right now, unless things don't pan out again.
  5. Related to 2, I could totally work at whatever school I get into with the skills and experience I already have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment