Friday, February 13, 2015

Summary of recent job search - Part 2

Job Search & Applications

So as a spin-off of the Park Ranger jobs, I also went back to looking for job openings at places such as the Liberty Science Center, Franklin Institute, Philadelphia Zoo, the Marine Mammal Stranding Center, and other similar places that would offer jobs that would utilize my education degree and allow me to teach science in an informal setting. Getting to work at places I admire was another incentive.

As a part of my search I used AdventureJobs.com and wikipedia (yes they have a page for that) to identify nature centers and science museums, and used a google form I created myself to compile all the information. This was a solution to my problem of endless searching and an infinite number of tabs I would have to return to; instead, all I did was copy and paste information about the company, the place, the position, and a link and I moved on to the next company. 

Through this process I also applied to all 6 locations of NatureBridge, a summer camp in Massachusetts, Sierra Nevada Journeys, The Franklin Institute, and an aquarium in Georgia.

I then got the inspiration to possibly follow my childhood dream of working with dolphins, and found a lot of rehabilitation and research centers in Florida with various openings. Even with the discovery of open positions, I found myself considering taking volunteer or internship positions.*

Interviews & Rejections

So here are my totals as of 2/13/2015:

  • Applications: 77
    • 67 Park Ranger
    • 6 Nature Bridge
    • 2 camp/nature centers
    • 1 museum
    • 1 aquarium
  • Interviews: 2
    • 2 camp/nature centers
  • Rejections: 25
    • 23 Park Ranger
    • 1 camp/nature center
    • 1 aquarium
  • Still-Hopefuls: 50
    • 44 Park Ranger
    • 6 Nature Bridge
    • 1 camp/nature center
    • 1 museum
Man, is it tough to keep applying to the Park Ranger jobs when I've only heard back positively from a living person for one out of 67 applications. Sheesh. At least I've got the process down to ~15 minutes so it doesn't take that much of my soul. 

Stopping to reevaluate

*Reflecting on my job search now, I realize how off track I was getting with my search for a new path.

I talked with my mom yesterday and she made the point that I got off track and that I wasn't really pursuing something that would take me further towards a career (because I was looking for part-time/seasonal work). I agree completely - I found myself wondering what I would do after the summer season ends for all the jobs I was applying to, and realized I didn't have much of an answer besides "working in a restaurant or other part-time, non-fully committal line of work".

Not saying that those jobs are ones to avoid, but for someone who feels that need and drive for something that can become a stable career with benefits, I wasn't heading on the right track.

Part of the conversation I showed her a list of all the jobs I've considered/am considering, but that's a post for another day. But this conversation finally led to...

New Focus

I feel like I can say with more confidence that I would like to pursue a career in Biomedical Engineering and Technologies, since the topic has interested me throughout the years and I feel like I would not only enjoy the challenges but that I would fit well in the field.

It's definitely different from the job searches as of late, but being realistic about the jobs I'm applying to I'm not sure I'd be happy with constantly being in a state of searching for a job when the season is over.

More about this pursuit in other posts... 

No comments:

Post a Comment